My lifetime dream of visiting Sri Lanka had finally come true. Last month, Vlad and I were treated like the kings of the island for an entire magical week. I have a lot of memories, photos, and stories, and more important I have more reasons to come back. Because one week is not enough to explore and discover the fabulous universe of Sri Lanka.
1. We had two perfect flights with SriLankan Airlines, from KL to Colombo, and then to Dubai. The airline team spoiled us with amazing traditional food, cocktails, Ceylon tea, beers and fruit juices and we took some great pics with them. Memories in the sky:)
Thank you, Iulian & TAL Aviation Romania for making this possible!
2. Colombo is a colonial-exotic city, with crazy traffic and generous people. We chose Cinnamon Lakeside, a 5-star hotel in the center of the city, with a beautiful apartment and a stunning terrace with views over the lake. Every morning, I’ve watched dozens of pelicans flying and landing on water – a landscape to remember!
3. The sunsets range from soft pink to purple, and the air is full of sea and Frangipani scents. Magic!
4. Local food and the chefs are surprising. From fresh seafood to the elegant cocktails at the club, and to the traditional dishes at the restaurants – everything is absolutely delicious!
5. The Ceylon Green Tea is the best in the world!
6. Colombo is a hot, mesmerizing city. From the craziness of tuk-tuks to the kindness of people, from the amazing food to the wonderful colonial hotels, from the heat of the afternoons to the starry nights, we loved everything in the capital of Sri Lanka.
7. If you travel by car, like we did, please ask the driver to stop along the way, and see these wonderful statues and temples of Sri Lanka.
8. From Colombo to Bentota (one of the biggest resorts on the island), is an easy 2-hour ride. Here, we stopped at the Bentota Beach by Cinnamon, to refresh and drink a traditional fruit juice.
9. When we left, we found out from our driver – Jagath Chandra (an amazing storyteller) that it’s a holiday in town, so we’ve stopped at a beautiful temple and participated in a Buddhist ceremony.
10. Back on the road, we saw along the way some out-of-this-world beaches, with white soft sand and turquoise waves.
11. We arrived in Hikkaduwa at noon, and we checked-in at Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon, a wonderful all-inclusive resort, on the beach. For three days, we relaxed in this magical garden, we fed the squirrels, and we listened to the ocean. In the evening, we either went to the Tranzfuse Pool Bar or stood inside, on our sea-view terrace.
12. In the south, you will find the Yala National Park and Cinnamon Wild Yala Resort. Take a jeep safari to the park, you will have the adventure of your life.
13. Sri Lanka is a well-known destination for weddings and honeymoons. You can have a ceremony on the beach, in the mountains or a wedding in the wilderness.
14. Before our flight, we’ve spent 2 hours at the Serendib Lounge, in the Bandaranaike International Airport – it’s an exotic, relaxing space with kind and smiling people. Here, we had amazing food and drinks, and even a shower.
15. After an amazing week on the island, we took off into the sunset, had a wonderful dinner in the sky and landed safely in Dubai, with memories for a lifetime.