It was a late February afternoon and I was sitting outside, into the sun, watching the bees. There is a fresh, scented air, a mystical shadow over the jungle, and a deep silence around me. My thoughts are fighting – like always – but my body and soul are resting in a place that I can easily call home. Beyond the luxurious exterior, there is something in here that triggers my strongest emotions – a meaningful sense of being.
I’ve dreamed of Viceroy Ubud for a very long time. Inside of me, there is a calling for the most precious places, for stories and fascinating people. And here I am, living my dream.
1. The first thing you will see at the Viceroy is the infinity pool over the jungle. It’s impressive, so to speak. But in Ubud, there are dozens of these and you can easily take it for granted. So, I haven’t let my eyes embrace the view too much. I was in a hurry to do more, to see more.
2. We were invited to the bar, for our welcoming drink. Not your usual drink, though. But an amazing custom-made cocktail with fresh fruits and champagne. Now I was ready to look around.
3. The restaurant is quite small and built in the Balinese style. The sunrise is embracing the jungle and tables around, creating a tranquil and magical space. I felt The Valley of the Kings is touched by the angels.
4. Viceroy only offers 25 villas – and this is what I loved the most! It is like a sanctuary, where you feel safe, home and spoiled like a royalty. When you celebrate your honeymoon or your love story, it’s sooo good to know that you can have maximum 50 people around and you can savor your precious time.
5. Our villa (Deluxe Terrace Pool Villa) has a fabulous Balinese architecture, view of the Petanu river and the jungle. It is a HUGE space with white and beige details, there’s a marble bathroom with a rain shower (the biggest I’ve ever seen), a living space with a giant TV & surrounding sound system, a Californian bed, and a heated pool. Next to the bed, there is a glass door which opens directly into the infinity pool.
6. In one afternoon I went to the gym (Yeah, I know, not the usual thing to do, but I loved it!) and then we took some DVDs and watched a movie with our fabulous sound system. Sometimes, just sitting and enjoying your little weirdness is heaven.
7. Swimming in your private heated pool at the sunset is the best thing ever! And Viceroy resides in a very special village in Ubud, called Petulu – where over 50K Heron birds are living. At 6 PM, thousands of them (at least in the monsoon season) are flying over into a fantasy of white wings and magical sounds.
8. CasCades Restaurant is the heart of the hotel, a very romantic place with a European flair. It is set over the jungle and river, near the main pool, and you can not have enough of it. The scenery is different throughout the day, depending on the sun, moon and the lights of the hotel.
9. You can choose to stay in, to have a breakfast in bed, or to learn how to cook in Balinese style, to do yoga, or the team will organize for you a sunrise trecking on Mt. Batur.
10. I’ve seen many places in Bali, all around the island. And I’m saying this with all my heart: if you have to choose just one experience on the Island of Gods – choose Viceroy. You will find there everything and more.